PASPN.net - Pistons C/PF Greg Monroe Will Be an All-Star Next Year: Fan's Take (Yahoo! Contributor Network)
Greg Monroe News
Trans. Feb 29 6:40 ET (Feb 29 6:40 ET ) It's been a rough season for the Detroit Pistons but not all is lost, as some of their top young players have excelled and shown that they can be building blocks for a future playoff run. The best revelation so far has probably been the play of center/power forward Greg Monroe,...
Pistons' forward Greg Monroe, who has been suspended for the first two games of the season after pleading guilty to DUI, "urinated on himself during the booking process," according to the police report from his arrest.
The Scoop:Playing alongside Andre Drummond and Josh Smith is no longer Monroe's biggest problem, as NBA fans are likely going to be relentless on Monroe at games this season. "I'm just trying not to be in the newspaper," Monroe said during the arrest. "I play for the Pistons." An officer replied "Unless you told people that are going to tell people, we don't tell people." The cat is out of the bag and Monroe's story is just another black eye on professional sports in what has already been a very long week.
Detroit Pistons forward Greg Monroe was suspended for two games without pay by the NBA on Tuesday after pleading guilty to driving while visibly impaired in Michigan. Monroe signed a one-year deal worth $5.5 million with the Pistons on Monday and will miss Detroit's first two games of the upcoming season, at Denver on October 29 and at Minnesota the next night. "The organization is aware of the matter," the Pistons said in a statement. Monroe, 24, averaged 15.2 points, 9.3 rebounds and 2.1 assists for the Pistons last season and has averaged 14.0 points, 9.0 rebounds and 2.3 assists in 309 NBA games for Detroit.
A few days removed from agreeing to a one-year, $5.5 million qualifying offer from the Detroit Pistons, power forward Greg Monroe received a two-game suspension without pay upon "pleading guilty to driving while visibly impaired," according to an NBA press release. “I take full responsibility for my actions and made a regrettable mistake,” Monroe, 24, said in a separate statement. “I apologize to my family, the Pistons’ organization, my teammates and fans. I will learn from this and continue my work to be a positive influence in the community.” Phoenix Suns small forward P.J. Tucker received a three-game suspension from the league after pleading guilty to a "super extreme" charge of driving under the influence last month. That arrest came prior to the Suns signing Tucker to a three-year, $16.5 million contract earlier this summer. In Michigan, where Monroe's arrest occurred, " operating while visibly impaired means that because of alcohol or other drugs, your ability to operate a motor vehicle was visibly impaired ." It is a lesser charge than driving while intoxicated, although a first offense can still result in up to a $300 fine, 93 days in jail and/or 360 hours of community service in addition to a restricted driver's license. "The organization is aware of the matter resulting in the NBA's announced two-game suspension for Greg Monroe," the Pistons said in a coordinated release with Monroe. "Greg has taken responsibility in a conscientious manner and resolved the matter with his representatives." Monroe will now miss a pair of road games against the Nuggets and Timberwolves to start the season before making his expected debut at home against the Nets on Nov. 1. For a player who is now banking on a big season to cash in as an unrestricted free agent next summer, this isn't the best start. Meanwhile, new Pistons coach Stan Van Gundy will get a brief test of what it might be like should Monroe sign elsewhere in 2015, likely playing Josh Smith at the power forward position to begin the year.
The Scoop:"I take full responsibility for my actions and made a regrettable mistake," said Monroe. "I apologize to my family, the Pistons' organization, my teammates and fans." He recently signed a one-year qualifying offer with the Pistons, but now he won't make his season debut until Nov. 1 against the Nets. Other players with season-opening suspensions include Nick Calathes, P.J. Tucker and Raymond Felton.
The Scoop:"I look forward to playing for Coach Van Gundy and his staff," said Monroe. "He has a proven track record and I'm excited about working with my teammates to get better and prepare for the season." Monroe will be an unrestricted free agent at the conclusion of the 2014-15 season. He averaged 15.2 points, 9.3 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 1.1 steals and 32.8 minutes without missing a single game last season, and he'll be a safe mid-round selection come draft day.
The Scoop:The Pistons have been lousy throughout Monroe's four NBA seasons and he wasn't happy about Josh Smith's arrival last season, which leaves Monroe in an ill-fitting frontcourt alongside Smith and Andre Drummond. He has since accepted the Pistons' one-year qualifying offer and will test his luck in unrestricted free agency next summer.
Detroit Pistons forward Greg Monroe isn’t taking an unprecedented step, respected and/or high end lottery picks like Ben Gordon, Michael Olowokandi, Stromile Swift, Spencer Hawes and Raymond Felton (amongst others) have all signed the qualifying offer with their incumbent teams, but only Hawes eventually re-signed with his team the following summer as an unrestricted free agent. At this point, we’re not sure if either side is looking forward to such a re-committing in the summer of 2015. This hardly matters in the interim. The Pistons and Monroe have decided to agree to a qualifying offer of nearly $5.48 million for the 2014-15 season, as first reported by Yahoo Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski . Were Monroe an unrestricted free agent this summer, he likely would have signed for a contract starting at around twice that on the open market. As a restricted free agent during this offseason, however, teams were likely scared off at the idea that any offer sheet they approached Monroe with would be eventually matched by the Pistons, costing the moneyed approach-ers crucial time during the busiest days of the NBA’s free agent summer. We’re now in the dullest weeks of the NBA’s free agent summer, and the Pistons have won out. Reportedly, the team never offered a deal to Monroe, preferring to let restricted free agency play in their favor. As a result, they’ll be the beneficiaries as they watch one of the league’s top scorers at the power forward position plays for less than half the league’s average salary in 2014-15. The question from here is, will Greg Monroe eventually win out? Yes. A thousand times yes. Unless something goes terribly wrong, and even then, probably … yes. Monroe has his faults. He improved defensively last season and the season before, and diligent low post defense isn’t as sorely need at his position as it was in years past, but on the whole he has serious issues with help defense both near and away from the rim in the screen and roll game. He is far from a stretch four, though you still have to mind his 15-footer, and he clashed terribly with former power forward Josh Smith in a massive Pistons frontcourt last season. If my favorite team signed Greg Monroe to an eight figure yearly contract, I’d be uneasy. I’d also talk myself into it, though. And this is what NBA teams will do next summer, when the other obvious free agent candidates move to other teams, and an aching general manager/ownership combo will throw scads of dollars at Monroe, who didn’t even turn 24 this year until Detroit’s season had been over for nearly two months. Monroe has yet to play in the playoffs, less a function of his lacking play and more of a result of the massive upheaval that Pistons fans have had to watch as player after player and coach after coach (nine of them!) have come and gone under former president Joe Dumars. Dumars was ahead of his time when he put together the cap-flexible and quite versatile Pistons squad that eventually won the 2004 championship, but he’s skipped over a series of missteps in the years following, and the Pistons haven’t made the playoffs since 2009. Dumars was let go by new’ish Detroit owner Tom Gores after 2013-14, and though the widely-respected Jeff Bower is the team’s ostensible GM, coach and president Stan Van Gundy will be making all the final calls as the Pistons look to emerge from the clutches of Dumars’ mostly-misspent moves. Van Gundy has said nice things about Monroe, even calling him prior to any other NBA team as the free agent negotiation period officially began in July, but it’s clear that he didn’t want to bid against himself to commit big money to Monroe in his first months on the job – and proof of that philosophy is in this qualifyin’ puddin’. Monroe will likely be staying with the Pistons the entire season. If Detroit does develop a midseason deal involving the scoring forward, he has veto power and can decline the trade. If Greg does decide that he wants to end up where the Pistons want to send him, he’d better think twice – Monroe will lose his Bird Rights with the new team, meaning that he’d have to be dealt to a squad with significant 2015 cap space in order to re-sign a contract set to what he thinks he’s worth. Such a move would also hamper that hypothetical team’s other offseason pursuits. There’s also the fear of injury, as Monroe is banking on 2015 and beyond while hoping that he doesn’t back into a career-altering malady. As we’ve written before , though, many teams would line up for the shot to sign an injured Monroe next summer, knowing that he might not be at his best in his first season with his new team. Teams, in the summertime, can talk themselves into anything. If Monroe has a terrific season? Then Detroit can offer more money spread out over more years next summer in unrestricted free agency in order to lure him to return. If Monroe finds the return an uneasy one, and another team swoops in following the season? Those are the breaks: Van Gundy would likely move the borderline (unless Sacramento has something up its sleeve that we don’t know about) untradeable Josh Smith up to power forward, and retain his cap flexibility moving forward. It seems like a win for all sides, even if Monroe is rightfully unhappy at the moment, and even if the Pistons still lose more than they win in 2014-15. Greg Monroe and the Detroit Pistons are taking a qualified risk - - - - - - - Kelly Dwyer is an editor for Ball Don't Lie on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at KDonhoops@yahoo.com or follow him on Twitter! Follow @KDonhoops
A person with knowledge of the deal says Greg Monroe has signed a $5.48 million, one-year qualifying offer with the Detroit Pistons. The move sets the stage for the 6-foot-11 Monroe to become an unrestricted free agent after this season. The 24-year-old Monroe has been a consistent scorer for the Pistons since they drafted him with the seventh pick in 2010, but his future with the team is in doubt after Detroit failed to sign the restricted free agent to a long-term contract this offseason.
The Scoop: None.
Sep 5 4:05 ET
News (various sources)
NBA Week in Review (Rotoworld) (8 Days Ago | courtesy: Rotoworld) Mike Gallagher goes over some news and FIBA performances from the past week. More...